Friday, February 6, 2009

Cafe Rio copycat dinner

this is on my friend's private blog...looks delicious



Another craving I have had is Mexican food! We finally got to a point in Stage 2 Feingold where we could add in peppers, so I went all out today, and made some yummy Mexican food. It was really good!! I googled "Cafe Rio" recipes, and this is what I found:

Pork

3 to 5 pounds pork roast

1 bottle taco sauce (I used Rosarita verde taco sauce) (note from Danika, I don't know if this is gf)

1 Tablespoon cumin

1 cup brown sugar (C&H)

1 can Coke (I think any soda will work, you need the sweetness, and then thecarbonation for tenderizing.)

Cook pork in slow cooker on low for 6 hours. Shred the meat. Then put the sauce in a pot, and boil for about 5 minutes, add the shredded pork, and stir.


Lime Rice

In a soup pot, saute:

2 Tablespoon butter

1 yellow onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced


Then add:

6 2/3 cups chicken broth (approved or homemade)

1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped

2 teaspoon cumin

2 sm. cans diced green chilies (I omitted these)

1 Tablespoon lime juice (approved or fresh)

1/2 teaspoon pepper

3 1/4 cups rice

Bring to boil. Then reduce heat, and let simmer until rice absorbs all liquid and is tender.


Then I heated up some approved refried beans, and some black beans (I used S & W) with salt and a few drops Tabasco sauce. I served these with warm tortillas (Don Pancho), piled on the refried beans, black beans, rice, meat and salsa. (I would have added sour cream, too, but I bought the 'light' stuff by accident.) It was really yummy! This makes A LOT! You may want to halve it, or save it for a party. Or, do like we will do, and have it for lunch tomorrow, and the next day, and the next . . .

No comments: