Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chicken pot pie bowls

http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/02/chicken-pot-pie-bowls.html


Chicken Pot Pie Bowls

BIG Thanks! I wanted to say thanks to those who voted for me at the BlogNet Awards. I WON for the month of January, and have been added to the best blog of the year award list for 2009. Thanks!!!

I take no credit for this recipe. I found it in the February edition of Rachael Ray magazine. Not only is it super creative, but it's a GFCF(and SF) version of one of my favorite meals! I just about jumped out of my seat when I saw the article. RR doing an article on food allergies! Yippee!!!

Here's my spin. It's pretty close to the article's recipe.

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts ($1.77) About 1 lb!
2-3 tsp extra virgin olive oil ($.10)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.01)
Salt/Pepper
1-2 Tbsp mustard ($.05)
1.5 - 2 lbs of white potatoes ($1.19)
1/2-1 cup of milk ($.08)
1 Tbsp butter or olive oil ($.15) See GFCFSF potatoes here
Salt/pepper
1 16 oz bag frozen mixed veggies ($.99)

Directions
1. Place chicken breasts in 8x8 glass baking dish. Sprinkle with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes.
2. Thaw frozen veggies.
3. After chicken is done cooking, cut into 1/2 inch - 1 inch cubes. Combine cubed chicken with frozen veggies. Add 1 Tbsp mustard and stir through.
3. Make mashed potatoes: Scrub and peel potatoes. Cut into quarters. Boil until tender (about 10 minutes). Drain and place in bowl. Add butter (or olive oil), milk (or rice milk) and salt and pepper. The consistency of the mashed potatoes needs to be thick. So add milk carefully!
4. Place mashed potatoes on plate, make a well to fill in with the chicken and frozen veggie mixture.
5. Serve chicken pot pie bowl. This will surely be a new favorite!!! We did not have a side dish with this. I made too many potatoes so we had plenty. The article suggests a salad with cherry tomatoes.

(note from Danika, I would also make a sauce with a cup of whole milk or approved rice milk and a TBSP of arrowroot powder to make it more like a pot pie.)

No comments: