I saw this recipe title somewhere. No idea where. Can't find it anywhere online. I bought a can of garbanzo beans, an acorn squash and a butternut squash. But no recipe to be found. So here's what I did...
1 can garbanzo beans ($.99)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil ($.10)
1 cup chicken broth (free from last night's chicken) (note from Danika, use approved broth in a combination to 4 cups or make your own chicken or veggie broth)
3 cups vegetable broth (free) See instructions here
1 small acorn squash ($.94)
1 small butternut squash ($1.07)
1 box frozen spinach ($.50)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.01)
2 tsp honey ($.15)
2 tsp green curry paste ($.25)
1 cup rice, uncooked ($.20)
**Note: Rice + Garbanzo bean = complete protein
1. In large saucepan, add olive oil and garbanzo beans. Saute 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth and vegetable broth.
2. Microwave butternut squash for 3 minutes. Remove and let cool. Microwave acorn squash for 3 minutes. Remove and let cool. Reason: Peeling and cutting are much easier after their skins have been softened. Once cool, peel skin off with peeler or knife. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Cut both squash into 1/2' square cubes. Add to broth.
3. Peel and cut carrots into circles. Add to soup.
4. Microwave spinach packet according to package instructions. Remove from plastic and add to soup.
5. Add spices, curry paste and honey to stew. Stir through. Cover and cook for at least 45 minutes on medium-low heat.
6. Cook 1 cup rice in 2 1/2 cups water. Bring water to boil. Add rice. Return to boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff with fork.
7. Serve stew with side of rice or serve stew over rice. A healthy and colorful dish!