Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stuffed Green Peppers

http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/01/stuffed-green-peppers.html


Stuffed Green Peppers

I've done it! I've really done it! I made a meal that costs more than 5 smackers!!! I wasn't sure that was possible anymore!

I saw this recipe in a Taste of Home Slow Cooker Recipe book. I just HAD to try it. I knew if I didn't get the green peppers on sale the meal would be way over. I was right! Even if they had been on sale, I think I'd still have gone over! Oh well. Can y'all forgive me this once???!!!

Also, wanted to say thanks for all the great advice from yesterday's "dried steak" fiasco !

And make sure you stop by this week's $5 Dinner Challenge for even more great frugal recipe ideas!

Ingredients
4 large green peppers ($3.96) *gasp*
1/2 cup rice, uncooked ($.10)
1/2 lb ground beef, cooked ($.75)
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles ($.37) But these are free at Kroger this week!
1/2 cup frozen organic corn ($.25)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($.37) Do not add if GFCFSF! (whole milk cheese with annatto if colored)
3 medium sweet potatoes ($1.39)

Directions
1. Cook 1/2 cup rice in 1 1/4 cup of water. Bring water to boil. Add rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes.
2. Add can of Rotel, frozen corn and cooked ground beef to the saucepan with the rice. Mix well.

3. Cut the tops off of each bell pepper and remove the seeds and stem.
4. Scoop rice and meat mixture into each bell pepper. Place bell peppers into the crockpot. Cook on low for 4 or 6 hours. About 15 minutes before serving, add shredded cheese to the tops of each pepper. Let cheese melt.
5. Slit sweet potatoes with knife or vent with fork. Bake sweet potatoes at 350 for 1 hour in baking dish with 1/4 inch water. Cover with foil. Remove and let cool about 10 minutes. Peel skins off of the potato and mash. Serve with cinnamon and butter if you like. We eat them "plain".
6. Serve stuffed bell peppers with a side of mashed sweet potatoes.

Cost $7.19 WAY OVER :(

(note from Danika, I rarely buy peppers cause they cost so much but in the summer we have a garden and they grow very easily.)

No comments: