Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fruit "snacks" or in other words, a fruit bowl centerpiece


This picture is from Rocks in my Dryer...

She talked about how the kids actually eat fruit if it's used as a centerpiece. I absolutely agree. We order most of our food through Azure Standard cause we save so much money there. As part of that, I look through the produce and order whatever is cheapest. You can order small but since we order once a month I usually get 10 or 20 lbs of a fruit. Hey, where else can you get 20 lbs of snack food for $14?

When bananas go on sale you're talking 39 cents a lb. Packaged fruit snacks are $5/lb for comparison.

Some goes in my cold storage, some goes in the fridge, and some goes in the fruit bowl. We keep the fruit bowl full as we need and it always disappears quickly.

The great thing about it is that the kids know they can always have fruit and they don't ask me for snacks. This saves tons of money and sugar AND baking time! My kids do well with apples, pears, mangoes, and bananas. The other fruit that's high in salycylates we limit a little more.

No comments: