Sunday, February 8, 2009

Gluten Free Old Fashined Doughnuts

http://thebakingbeauties.blogspot.com/2008/08/gluten-free-old-fashioned-doughnuts.html


Gluten Free Old Fashioned Doughnuts

glutenfreeoldfashioneddonuts

Yes folk, that's right, gluten-free donuts! These were actually really simple to make, and they tasted just like the donuts that you get fresh at the summer fairs, all covered in a cinnamon-sugar coating.

I bought myself a donut cutter the other day when we were in the city. I don't really know why, I had never even successfully made donuts before going gluten-free. What was I going to do with it now that I couldn't even eat my failed yeast donuts? Well, I decided to look online for a gluten free donut recipe. Lo & behold, there it was! And on a side note; what on earth did anyone do before the internet anyway??? Going gluten-free would have been horrible back then! Anyway...

The next time I make these donuts, I think I will skip the donuts, and make them all into donut holes. The donut holes are such a nice little size to just pop into your mouth while walking past the platter of donuts (don't ask how many I ate that afternoon, yikes). Like all GF baking, it is best when fresh, however, it can be frozen & reheated in a 350 degree F oven when you want to serve them too. These were awesome, and I didn't even miss not being able to buy them at the local festivals this year (why would I when I have them in my own kitchen??).

Source: GFUtah.org

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 5 cups rice flour blend (*see note)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp nutmeg

Directions:

1. Combine eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well with a wire whisk or fork.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet. Mix by hand with a large spoon. (Do not use an electric mixer).
3. Let batter rest for about 15 minutes. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface. If dough is sticky, work in more rice flour blend.
4. Roll dough 1/2" thick. Cut with a doughnut cutter.
5. Fry in 1 to 3 inches of very hot oil (375 degrees F) until brown on one side. Turn doughnuts over and brown on second side.
6. While doughnuts are still warm, toss in a mixture of white sugar & cinnamon to coat. Serve warm.

*NOTE: Rice flour blend is 6 parts rice flour, 2 parts potato starch, and 1 part tapioca starch.

No comments: