Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Orange Jelly Candy

I've been experimenting more with gummies but I wanted something more like the insides of chocolate dipped jelly sticks. I made this recipe and it was perfect! I'll probably end up dipping or drizzling it with chocolate. It does take more cooking time than the gummies but not a lot of my time. I just had to stir it every once in a while.

2 cups sugar
1 envelopes unflavored gelatin or 3 TBSP.
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup orange juice concentrate (I used orange/pineapple)
1/4 tsp salt
5 drops lemon essential oil (optional)

Mix everything but the essential oil in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer 15-20 minutes (stir the bottom of the pot every once in a while) until the mixture forms a short thread or starts to sheet heavily. Add the essential oils.
Pour the mixture into molds or a 9 x 5 casserole dish that has been lightly oiled with coconut oil.
When this is cooled and set, use a cold water dipped knife to cut into cubes.
Eat as is, roll in powdered sugar, or dip in chocolate.
Store in cardboard or wrapped in a paper bag.

No comments: