Powdered sugar for dusting
2 tablespoons boxed gelatin
8 tablespoons cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2. In a small bowl, soak gelatin and 8 tablespoons of cold water. Set aside.
3. Combine granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a large heavy saucepan.
4. Cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Add gelatin and bring to a boil.
5. Remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl and let stand until partially cool.
6. Add salt and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until soft and double in volume.
7. Pour into the prepared pan to about 1/2 inch thick.
8. Set to cool until it will not stick to the finger.
9. Cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces and roll in powdered sugar.
NOTE: Toasted coconut can be substituted for powdered sugar.